Ricky Gervais


I have a strange relationship with Ricky Gervais. Not the person, I don't know him obviously, I am talking about Ricky Gervais the personage, the character. Every time I start thinking I can't stand this guy, he pops up on my screen with the funniest joke. I can't help and think oh my! I love this guy. 

He's got the kind of humour that makes you laugh and wince at the same time. I am French and we are used to icy wincy cringy humour, I could even go as far as saying that it's the only kind of humour we find funny. However in the "Anglosaxon" world politically correct is a thing. A big thing and I got used to the sanitise British sense of humour or the obvious "big as a house" as we would say in French American sense of humour, but Ricky oh Ricky how different from other comedians he is.
"spoiler alert"

He's the comedian that can make a tv series about grief that makes you laugh, wince and cry all at the same time, hate and love the main character, fall in love with a sex worker, feel all sort of feelings of empathy and disgust for a hoarder, cry when the homeless dies with tears of relief and happiness for somehow you feel he's in a better place and overall finish the show discovering yet again another facet of Ricky Gervais.

like many of you I discovered him in The Office. At the time I didn't speak English very well. So I would only understand half of the jokes and none of the references. In many ways, Ricky taught me English. I would go around saying to people "and people think she's just a pair of tits". (brilliant by the way, I still use to this day.)

Recently I have watched his stand-up Humanity. This is when I made up my mind about Ricky Gervais once and for all love or hate? Definitely love. He's the only guy on this planet who can explain a joke and make the explanation even funnier than the already very funny joke.


Comments

Popular Posts